Guilty or Not Guilty
Develop Citizenship skills by running a Mock Trial event. Pack includes teaching notes and a comprehensive Resources Pack to help you set up and run an informative and fun event with up to 250 students.
Student aptitude is assessed by taking a simple quiz which suggests which group they are best suited to: defence, prosecution, forensic science team, witnesses, court officials, youth offending team or press.
Activities are suggested for each group with particular focus on the witnesses (spot the difference, video observation, E-FIT) and forensic science team (ideas for experiments/investigations with good practice and technician notes).
Benefits - Why should I buy Guilty or Not Guilty?
- Flexible approach based on a tried and tested event run with 300 students each year at CTC Kingshurst Academy.
- Superb Resources Pack and Teaching Notes to aid preparation, outline the case and support student progress.
- Promotes active Citizenship.
- Boosts understanding of legal and trial proceedings.
- Includes tested ideas for experiments.
- Can be linked to your school VLE.
- Value for money - the E-FIT can be purchased separately.
Guided learning hours
- 4-7 hours
Principle age range
- 12-15 - works particularly well with Year 9 students
- Aptitude assessment quiz
- Spot the Difference game (with 3 levels)
- Video observation (with 3 levels)
- Resources Pack. Includes:
- Background notes for the crime such as a location map, statements and notes on the witnesses and defendants
- How to use the assessment quiz
- Witness statement writing frame
- Differences between youth and magistrates courts
- Ideas and good practice notes for forensic investigation of evidence
- Witness group activity notes
- Evaluation worksheet
- Teaching Notes. Includes:
- Making the most of the day
- Setting up the specialist activities
- Simple plan of the actual event with suggested timings etc
- Team overview information sheets